SIM-swapping ring stole $400M in crypto from a US company, officials allege


The US may have uncovered the nation’s largest “SIM swap” scheme yet, charging a Chicago man and co-conspirators with allegedly stealing $400 million in cryptocurrency by targeting over 50 victims in more than a dozen states, including one company.

A recent indictment alleged that Robert Powell—using online monikers “R,” “R$,” and “ElSwapo1″—was the “head of a SIM swapping group” called the “Powell SIM Swapping Crew.” He allegedly conspired with Indiana man Carter Rohn (aka “Carti” and “Punslayer”) and Colorado woman Emily Hernandez (allegedly aka “Em”) to gain access to victims’ devices and “carry out fraudulent SIM swap attacks” between March 2021 and April 2023.

SIM-swap attacks occur when someone fraudulently induces a wireless carrier to “reassign a cell phone number from the legitimate subscriber or user’s SIM card to a SIM card controlled by a criminal actor,” the indictment said. Once the swap occurs, the bad actor can defeat multi-factor authentication protections and access online accounts to steal data or money.

Powell’s accused crew allegedly used identification card printers to forge documents, then posed as victims visiting Apple, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile retail stores in Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Utah, Nebraska, Colorado, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Texas, New Mexico, Tennessee, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

According to the indictment, many of the alleged victims did not suffer financial losses, but those that did were allegedly hit hard. The hardest hit appears to be an employee of a company whose AT&T device was allegedly commandeered at a Texas retail store, resulting in over $400 million being allegedly transferred from the employee’s company to co-conspirators’ financial accounts. Other individual victims allegedly lost cryptocurrency valued between $15,000 and more than $1 million.

Co-conspirators are accused of masking stolen funds, sometimes by allegedly hiding transfers in unhosted or self-hosted virtual currency wallets. If convicted, all stolen funds must be forfeited, the indictment said.

Powell has been charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit aggravated identity theft and access device fraud, Special Agent Brent Bledsoe said in the indictment. This Friday, Powell faces a detention hearing, where he has been ordered by the US Marshals Service to appear in person.

Powell’s attorney, Gal Pissetzky, told Ars that Powell has no comment on the indictment at this time.

SIM swaps escalating in US?

When Powell’s alleged scheme began in 2021, the FBI issued a warning, noting that criminals were increasingly using SIM-swap attacks, fueling total losses that year of $68 million.

Since then, US law enforcement has made several arrests, but none of the uncovered schemes come close to the alleged losses from the thefts Powell’s crew are being accused of.

In 2022, a Florida man, Nicholas Truglia, was sentenced to 18 months for stealing more than $20 million from a single victim. On top of forfeiting the stolen funds, Truglia was also ordered to forfeit more than $900,000 as a criminal penalty. According to security blogger Brian Krebs, Truglia was connected to a group that allegedly stole $100 million using SIM-swap attacks.

Last year, there were a few notable arrests. In October, the Department of Justice sentenced a hacker, Jordan Dave Persad, to 30 months for stealing nearly $1 million from “dozens of victims.” And in December, four Florida men received sentences between eight and 27 months for stealing more than $509,475 in SIM-swap attacks.

Ars could not find any FBI warnings since 2021 raising awareness that losses from SIM-swap attacks may be further increasing to amounts as eye-popping as the alleged losses in Powell’s case.

A DOJ official was unable to confirm if this is the biggest SIM-swapping scheme alleged in the US, directing Ars to another office. Ars will update this report with any new information the DOJ provides.

US officials seem aware that some bad actors attempting SIM-swap attacks appear to be getting bolder. Earlier this year, the Securities and Exchange Commission was targeted in an attack that commandeered the agency’s account on X, formerly known as Twitter. That attack led to a misleading X post falsely announcing the approval of bitcoin exchange-traded funds, causing a brief spike in bitcoin’s price.

To protect consumers from SIM-swap attacks, the Federal Communications Commission announced new rules last year to “require wireless providers to adopt secure methods of authenticating a customer before redirecting a customer’s phone number to a new device or provider. The new rules require wireless providers to immediately notify customers whenever a SIM change or port-out request is made on customers’ accounts and take additional steps to protect customers from SIM swap and port-out fraud.” But an Ars review found these new rules may be too vague to be effective.

In 2021, when European authorities busted a SIM-swapping ring allegedly targeting high-profile individuals worldwide, Europol advised consumers to avoid becoming targets. Tips included using multifactor authentication, resisting associating sensitive accounts with mobile phone numbers, keeping devices updated, avoiding replying to suspicious emails or callers requesting sensitive information, and limiting personal data shared online. Consumers can also request the highest security settings possible from mobile carriers and are encouraged to always use stronger, longer security PINs or passwords to protect devices.



Source link

About The Author

Scroll to Top